Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question I wanna re-gear!!!

So i've been searching ebay, craigslist, pirate, etc... for a deal on 4.56 or 4.88 gears for the Bronco. So before I buy anything I better ask, Whats good and what should I stay away from. Buying new I'll most likely get 4.88's. I see Motive gear and USA Standard on ebay quite a bit. I assume they are imported gears? Good?...Bad? Anyone running them?

And I should mention I'm broke and want to do this as cheaply as possible...
    '89 Bronco II - "Under Construction"

I have cheapy gears in my front D44. I dont remember what brand they were, but I havnt had any problems with it. No complaints, but if it ever does break them IM S.O.L. and will have to buy all new gears. I think there's only a 1 year warranty on them that is WAY gone... It's a gamble
    DINK DINK!!!

'79 CJ7, rebuilt 258, 4.0 Head, HEI, AX-15, D300 Low max 4:1, Flat Belly, Narrowed D44 w/ true trac & diff gaurd, Widetrack AMC20 w/ superior shafts, Homemade 4 wheel disk, I take it in the butt, Detroit locker & crane diff cover, 4" skyjacker lift, 2" BL, TJ flares, 35" tires, YJ booster, York OBA, YJ tub conversion, picklesmoocher, 6 pt. cage, F250 front shock towers, pure goat sex appeal :)daulmg
    TBI on the way O:g:)headbanger

I've had good luck with Yukon Gears too. I think I payed $140 for a new set of 5.38's years ago, & $120 each for the spools. Install kits are under $100.

red6rubicon
    i think 1 manufacture makes all gear sets then sells off the ones that are not to there spec to others to rebadge and sell. I dont have any info to prove this other than things I haves seen when buying parts in the past

Quote Originally Posted by red6rubicon View Post
    i think 1 manufacture makes all gear sets then sells off the ones that are not to there spec to others to rebadge and sell. I dont have any info to prove this other than things I haves seen when buying parts in the past
    Well that's reassuring...not...

Heard alot of good things about Yukon's but they are out of my price range...
    '89 Bronco II - "Under Construction"

Nothings out of your price range Toma if you just take a little more time and save up for what you want. Do it right the first time, even if you have to wait a few more months....
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways Totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SHIT.......WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk350 View Post
    Well that's reassuring...not...
    Sometimes we sell a lot of powdered metal at work as a "deviation" from the customer specification. Sometimes it is only out of spec my 0.0001% but regardless it is still out of spec, even though it will make no difference in the outcome of the final product.

Most of the time I think that the cheapy gear sets are manufactured overseas and they do not use top quality raw material. Between the material costs and the labor costs is where you will see your savings.....

Like I said, I run a cheap-o set in my front 44, with no issues thus far....
    DINK DINK!!!

'79 CJ7, rebuilt 258, 4.0 Head, HEI, AX-15, D300 Low max 4:1, Flat Belly, Narrowed D44 w/ true trac & diff gaurd, Widetrack AMC20 w/ superior shafts, Homemade 4 wheel disk, I take it in the butt, Detroit locker & crane diff cover, 4" skyjacker lift, 2" BL, TJ flares, 35" tires, YJ booster, York OBA, YJ tub conversion, picklesmoocher, 6 pt. cage, F250 front shock towers, pure goat sex appeal :)daulmg

red6rubicon
    toma your not running chromo shafts,300hp and a doubler listen to obama jr er ah gumble I mean gabriel you'll be fine

red6rubicon
    josh breto ran yukons in a 30 under a 4.0 tj on 36's and broke a few ring gears

he also had a lockrite in the front Im pretty sure, 4.56's
    DINK DINK!!!