Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suspension Questions

Since the Jeep has now been on the road, it's time to upgrade the suspension. I'm not really interested in going much taller. (it still fits in the garage). But I need some flex. Right now it doesn't flex well at all.

For starters, what shocks do you recommend? I'm looking for something with some travel.

For now, I'm going to keep the rear leaf spring set up, it should be soft enough that longer shocks should help.

For the front...I'd like to get some "softer" springs. The bronco springs seem to be too stiff. I've been tossing up the idea of ditching the shocks and springs all together and putting on some air shocks but this is not a dedicated trail rig.

For those of you that don't know. My jeep is a 1976 Cj7 sitting on a 1979 full size bronco chassis.

Thanks in advance.
    -1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, Twin Sticked NP205, 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition.

[I][B]FOR SALE [/B][/I]-1978 F250, 390 FE, 6" Lift, 4spd, 35" Tires- [B][I]FOR SALE[/I][/B]
    [CENTER]:)doublefistin[/CENTER]

[CENTER][B]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/B]

[I]-Theodore Roosevelt-[/I][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]For all your Construction and Remodeling needs.
    724-49-BUILD[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by steveg0690 View Post
    Since the Jeep has now been on the road, it's time to upgrade the suspension. I'm not really interested in going much taller. (it still fits in the garage). But I need some flex. Right now it doesn't flex well at all.

For starters, what shocks do you recommend? I'm looking for something with some travel.

For now, I'm going to keep the rear leaf spring set up, it should be soft enough that longer shocks should help.

For the front...I'd like to get some "softer" springs. The bronco springs seem to be too stiff. I've been tossing up the idea of ditching the shocks and springs all together and putting on some air shocks but this is not a dedicated trail rig.

For those of you that don't know. My jeep is a 1976 Cj7 sitting on a 1979 full size bronco chassis.

Thanks in advance.
    For off the shelf stuff I'd recomend James Duff & Bronco Graveyard websites.
    Getting it Awwwwwwwn-BLWA style :cool:

I never was one of the "off the shelf" type of guys. I prefer to fab what is needed.
    -1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, Twin Sticked NP205, 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition.

[I][B]FOR SALE [/B][/I]-1978 F250, 390 FE, 6" Lift, 4spd, 35" Tires- [B][I]FOR SALE[/I][/B]

[CENTER][B]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/B]

724-49-BUILD[/CENTER]

Today I decided to see what kind of travel I have with the current suspension. With the shocks on, I could only get one of the front wheels to droop 3 inches. I took the shock off and got 1 more inch.

Then I pulled the spring and shock off of one side and still could only manage to get 8" of travel. Still better than before, but not great.

Here are some pictures. Probably one of the most "unsafe" things I have ever done in my garage, But it works. I lifted the one corner with a chain block and then put a jack under the opposite tire to get the full travel on that side.

Spring and shock. Compressed

Extended.

Total length of shock that I can put in right now.

I'm not really pleased with this setup at all. The spring would not extend or stretch at all with the axle weight on it. And it barely compressed 3".

Someone point me in the right direction here please.

724-49-BUILD[/CENTER]

Looks to me like you got bad angles on your links (for flexing anyways). For it not to wanna drop out of there it would have to be binding.

So I would do what you said you were going to do in your first post. Put the air shocks on it with a good 4 link. Make sure you pay mind to your drive shaft.
    :th_biggun:`

Quote Originally Posted by PAMudBusters View Post
    Looks to me like you got bad angles on your links (for flexing anyways). For it not to wanna drop out of there it would have to be binding.

So I would do what you said you were going to do in your first post. Put the air shocks on it with a good 4 link. Make sure you pay mind to your drive shaft.
    :hmmm::hmmm: Calvin, stock Bronco's dont have links, they have a radius arm setup.

like someone else said, James Duff would be a wise choice if you wanna stick with the bronco stuff.

I never was one of the "off the shelf" type of guys. I prefer to fab what is needed.
    if your wanting to go "wild" then building your own 3 or 4 link would help you out a lot in the flex department. you could go coil over or after market coils since i dont see anyone fabbing their own coil springs ....... but i bet Calvin would give it a shot......lol :th_flipthebird: :-)haha :-pna :10_6_8:
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways Totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SHIT.......WHAT A RIDE!!!"

I'm up for fabbing just about anything. But I think I will have to draw the line at a coil spring....haha.

I've been doing a lot of research and it looks like some 6 1/2 ZJ coils may be what I need to get started. They are a lot softer and should give me about 3" lift.

I am however confused why my shocks are different lengths. The front left is mounted in front of the coil and the left is mounted behind it. At the regular loaded height right now, they are about 6" different? WTF is up with that?

724-49-BUILD[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by steveg0690 View Post

I've been doing a lot of research and it looks like some 6 1/2 ZJ coils may be what I need to get started. They are a lot softer and should give me about 3" lift.

I am however confused why my shocks are different lengths. The front left is mounted in front of the coil and the left is mounted behind it. At the regular loaded height right now, they are about 6" different? WTF is up with that?
    they should give you some good flex.

as for the shocks, is there any way you can fab shock mounts on it to have them in the same spots on boths sides? you can get ford shock towers and weld them to the frame if ya got the room.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways Totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SHIT.......WHAT A RIDE!!!"

yada yada radius arms Ford and a better idea yada yada. Basically the same thing.
    :th_biggun:`

Quote Originally Posted by bigrubbers4x4 View Post
    is there any way you can fab shock mounts on it to have them in the same spots on boths sides? you can get ford shock towers and weld them to the frame if ya got the room.
    That's what I'm looking at. The frame mount isn't the problem. The axle mounts are different on each side. and it could prove to be difficult to work with....

724-49-BUILD[/CENTER]