Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    And remember the radius arms see a huge amount of twist under hard braking so keep it safe. Do your homework and make sure you do the job right.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    And remember the radius arms see a huge amount of twist under hard breaking so keep it safe. Do your homework and make sure you do the job right.

The James Duff radius arms are actually designed as two pc's with additional bushings to allow for more flex by allowing more of the very same twist Billy refers to here. But they still provide limited movement when braking or accellerating (probably on par with leaf spring movement)

Getting it Awwwwwwwn-BLWA style :cool:

I went to meridian offroad today and ordered some ZJ springs and new radius arm bushings. (mine are shot). Once the springs are on, I will measure for shocks. If all goes well (it probably won't) I'll have it all together for roastin' on the rocks this weekend.

This jeep is being designed as a very capable offroader that I can still run on the street anytime needed. I'll do the four link and air shocks on the upcoming buggy build.
    -1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, Twin Sticked NP205, 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition.

[I][B]FOR SALE [/B][/I]-1978 F250, 390 FE, 6" Lift, 4spd, 35" Tires- [B][I]FOR SALE[/I][/B]
    [CENTER]:)doublefistin[/CENTER]

[CENTER][B]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/B]

[I]-Theodore Roosevelt-[/I][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]For all your Construction and Remodeling needs.
    724-49-BUILD[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    A radius arm suspension can work.

Man that thing has some serious flex! If I can get even a little bit close to that with this build. I'll be happy.

Got more pictures of that set up?
    -1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, Twin Sticked NP205, 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition.

[I][B]FOR SALE [/B][/I]-1978 F250, 390 FE, 6" Lift, 4spd, 35" Tires- [B][I]FOR SALE[/I][/B]

[CENTER][B]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/B]

724-49-BUILD[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by steveg0690 View Post
    Man that thing has some serious flex! If I can get even a little bit close to that with this build. I'll be happy.

Got more pictures of that set up?
    Dont listen to him... its all smoke and mirrors! :th_flipthebird:
    DINK DINK!!!

'79 CJ7, rebuilt 258, 4.0 Head, HEI, AX-15, D300 Low max 4:1, Flat Belly, Narrowed D44 w/ true trac & diff gaurd, Widetrack AMC20 w/ superior shafts, Homemade 4 wheel disk, I take it in the butt, Detroit locker & crane diff cover, 4" skyjacker lift, 2" BL, TJ flares, 35" tires, YJ booster, York OBA, YJ tub conversion, picklesmoocher, 6 pt. cage, F250 front shock towers, pure goat sex appeal :)daulmg
    TBI on the way O:g:)headbanger

The front shock mounts have been an issue from the beginning. When I removed the front shock from the passenger side, I noticed how short it really was. I am going to set both sides up so that the shocks are both on the rear of the coils. Since the mount was so short, I decided to make some taller mounts to get the ball rolling. The first mount is made, I will work on the other side tomorrow.

Pictures:

As it sits right now.

This is the shock that I pulled of of the passenger side. Notice that my new mount is almost the same size as the shock extended.

I almost went with a shock hoop design and bent this up real quick to see if I liked it. No go.

This shows the location of the new tower on the drivers side.

The tower in front is substantially taller than the old tower from the passenger side was. But the new tower is even taller. I will be able to install either stud mound or loop mount shocks on these mounts.

724-49-BUILD[/CENTER]

do yourself a favor and stay away from the stud mount shocks. i've seen lots of the stud ones either snap off wheeling or strip when trying to tighten or remove them.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways Totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SHIT.......WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Pee Wee Club Member O-Townoriginal's Avatar
    id listen to calvin if anyone knows how to build a suspension he does
    97 tj pre rolled with some things

Well, as some of you know. I did get the jeep lifted and it does flex much better. There is still room for improvement though. First things first, I need to either get an adjustable track bar or extend the current one. Steering linkage needs flipped (tie rod). And I need to build extended radius arm setup with heim joints.

Here are some pics of the current setup.

I did build some lift blocks for the rear (no pictures yet) They are performing really well and CANNOT fall out. I do however need to add about 2* of pinion angle to get rid of some drive shaft vibrations. Also I tossed in a ladder bar with a shackle to get rid of the axle wrap.

I'm also at a crossroads, The front lifted more than I initially thought it would. It is setting about an inch or so higher in the front. Should I lower the front to accommodate or lift the rear?

I'm also thinking that I may need to get some slightly softer springs for the front. Those springs didn't stuff as well as I thought.

724-49-BUILD[/CENTER]

The coils will soften with time and use. Don't lower the front, get yourself new springs for the rear to lift it to match the front. But if you do decide to get rid of them zj coils, let me know!!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways Totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SHIT.......WHAT A RIDE!!!"