Post owners of yjs lift opinions

Ok to start this is what I'm working with. 91 yj 4.0 3 speed auto bastard packs in the front that are stiff as hell and stock rear springs with a sort of helper spring and shackles. I want to stay sua cuz i cant afford to do the soa coversion properly plus soa will yeild too much height. I also want to be no higher than maybe 3.5 inches high cuz for what I do anything more is probably not needed. So I look to more experienced folks for some help deciding. I read good and bad about most manufacturers springs so if you have any input chime in. Thanks
    silver greyish 96 xj 4.0 auto sport 28s no lift yet [B][/B](sold for a profit)
    green 93 xj sport 4.0 auto 2 door only 112000 (sold and doubled my money!)
    blue 91 yj 4.0 auto bastards in the front shackles in the back on 31s (sold)
    green 94 limited zj 5.2 2 inch bb and 31s has a bad vc and 204k and counting (sold)
    green 99 xj limited 173k stock will be my dd while I fix zj (sold for profit)
    White 94 limited zj 5.2 stock with 84k!!!!!! DD

first question, what size tires are you planning to run?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways Totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SHIT.......WHAT A RIDE!!!"

TG Rock Racing is 2013 K.O.H. Bound!!! dan58's Avatar
    BDS. Lifetime warranty. I had their 2.5" springs, and they're nice and soft.
    Thank you:
    Adventurous4x4, F&S Racing, FOA Shocks, Masterpull, Ruff Stuff Specialties, BFGoodrich, 4x4Oil, Reid Racing, Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts, Heretic Fab, DEI Thermal Products, Griffin Radiator, Raceline Wheels, TMR Products

I ran rough country springs on mine for awhile cause thats what was on it when i bought it. For the money I guess they were alright. I mean they rode ok on the road and they flex pretty good in the woods. But I bent the hell out of 1 set and snaped one ply in each rear spring in under 2 years. I'm alittle hard on things lol. Main issue I seen with them was the junk center pins they used bend rather easy. I put a set of RE double wrap springs on it and it's a world of difference in both ride and flex. I looked into the BDS springs when I was shoppin around they make awesome stuff but went RE cause of the awesome price I got on the springs. I would save and buy a better product cause in the end theres a reason some kits are cheaper then others. What tire size u lookin to run? Depending on tire size I would do a 1.5" or so spring and longer shackles to net the lift u want. If ya need more room either trim the fenders or do a body lift. I trimmed and did a BL only so I could get rid of my shovel and do a flat skid.

im looking to stay with probably 31s or maybe 32s. and i thought re closed up shop? and for some reason bds didnt even cross my mind. tho they are pricey. but if i do it right once i shouldnt have to redo it. well that brings up another question. should i go with a complete kit or just buy springs and shocks? cuz i dont have front sway or track bars and ill be removing the rears soon enough so i wouldnt need the associated parts that seem to come in the kits. and buying a t case drop seems dumb when there may not be a need for it and i can just make my own so easily.
    green 94 limited zj 5.2 2 inch bb and 31s has a bad vc and 204k and counting (sold)

RE was bought out by Transamerican awhile back. They offer a lifetime replacement on the springs as well. If I was u I would just buy springs and shocks. If ur stayin under 3" or so u should be able to get away with not needin a drop pit, brake lines and a drop down on the t-case.

on my old 93' i had 2 1/2" RC used springs, 1 1/4" RC boomerang shackles, 2" body lift. I then put TJ flares on it and it opened the wheel wells up wider than the YJ openings. I was able to fit 35" Baja Claws under it. It flexed pretty good and went anywhere just about with just a lunchbox locker in the rear.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways Totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SHIT.......WHAT A RIDE!!!"

ok quadratec has old man emu 2.5 heavy loads for 73.99 plus 21.99 for bushings with 4 superlift shocks for 571.87 for all four corners after shipped to my door. doesnt seem too bad and i can pick up new u bolts locally. good deal? and how hard is the tj flare swap? seems pretty straight forward

Quote Originally Posted by silvercherokee5 View Post
    ok quadratec has old man emu 2.5 heavy loads for 73.99 plus 21.99 for bushings with 4 superlift shocks for 571.87 for all four corners after shipped to my door. doesnt seem too bad and i can pick up new u bolts locally. good deal? and how hard is the tj flare swap? seems pretty straight forward
    Can't beat OME....arguably the best leaf springs out there. I've been running them for nearly ten years and just installed a new set. And that is a good price on those. Also, if in the future you decide to go to 35" tires, those springs work nicely for SOA.
    '93 YJ with a few extras
    '99 Ram Oil-burner

When I bought my jeep it was already lifted, as far as I can tell with all the stickers inside it might be a Black Diamond 4.5" lift kit on it but that's just a guess. Not sure how anyone on here feels about shackle reversal kits on the YJ's but I have one on mine and there was noticeable better handling after installing the kit, less of a shakedown going down the highway and good performance on the trails. Not sure if you would be looking into anything like this and if anyone has any objections to the SR kit feel free to correct me. My kit came from MORE Off Road.